A pontoon is a metallic tube, flotation device with buoyancy sufficient to float itself as well as a heavy load over it. Boats using pontoon as a floating device are called pontoon boats. Pontoon boats are typically cylindrical and do not have inside access; they are simply for flotation.
Small Pontoon boats are pontoon boats of width 7 or 8 feet and are available in shorter lengths. These pontoon boats are perfect for cruising smaller lakes accommodating two to four people on onboard. The main advantage of these pontoon boats is that these type of boats are easier to handle and easier to maintain and can be taken anywhere!
Small pontoons are generally equipped with electric motors as they are used for treading short journeys over small water bodies. The advantages of small pontoons can be summed up as follows:
- In case there are any local restrictions put in place to protect the waterways, and those restrictions are in form of physical challenges like constant water depth fluctuation, small pontoons are very practical.
- Small pontoon boats are environment friendly as they do not require a diesel engine and would need 75 horse power.
- This kind of pontoon boats is very favourable in shallow waters, especially in local ponds.
- These are more stable and the flat deck keeps the boat and the gear steady , instead of constant rocking motion.
- Environmental regulations limit the horsepower usage by imposing some horsepower restrictions over boats. But as these boats are already using way below than the restriction limit without any performance damage, they are more feasible to use.
- It is perfect for beginners who want to start their boating ventures, but do not have much idea about boating. The stability and the steadiness in these boats would further encourage a beginner to use it to its potential.
- Handling, manoeuvring and docking big boats can be difficult but the small boats are easy to do so!
- Small pontoons are easy to store especially in case of winter storage. They would just fit inside a standard garage just fine. It is also easier to turn and park these boats in the garage in comparison to the other bigger boats of standard size.
Most of the pontoon manufacturers in the market are in the business of small pontoons. The following pontoon manufacturers are well known for their small boats:
- Apex Marine (Qwest, Gillgetter)
- Pond King
- Sunny Days
- Pro Strike
Small pontoons are also used by the Department of Natural Resources for maintenance of water bodies, law enforcement and rescue operations. They are used to clean up small debris from shallow waters which would be unreachable by standard sized pontoon boats. And since small pontoons have much lesser weight on themselves, they make s speedier rescue as compared to their counterparts. They can be helpful in assisting stranded boaters with engine troubles or boats with low fuel tanks .