Boat floor coating helps in maintaining the safety and appearance of your pontoon boat floor. Many pontoon boat owners find it hard to find quality pontoon boat deck coating that actually last. Boat floor coatings can be a great alternative to carpet or vinyl flooring options. Traditionally used coatings like vinyl and others flake away easily and offer little resistance to the harsh weather conditions. Over long time, it may also become slippery underfoot. The routine deck activities add to the friction and wear and so is the corrosive environment which further aggravates the problem. A wide range of boat floor coatings are available on the market and this includes acrylics, oil based and polyurethane. Most come with anti slip additives, which needs to be added otherwise. So if you are somebody looking for renewing your floor or is intending to coat your new pontoon floor, then this article may be of help.
What to look for when buying boat floor coatings?
- Good protection: The boat floor coating should protect your surface in the best possible way for the years to come. It should be capable of withstanding the elements of weather, UV rays, foot traffic, etc. Look for specialized boat floor coatings that will provide necessary protection from elements with good water resistance. Durable coatings should be looked after for.
- Non-slip: Non skid/ non slip coatings can be of great help as they add an element of safety to the surface. A good boat floor coating should have this feature or else you can also add a suitable anti slip additive to the coating. Having a non slip coating can prevent unfortunate incidents.
- Quality and Price: Rather than investing in cheap alternatives. Look for quality coatings as they will offer the best protection. This does not mean you need to go for top end products. Look for features like resistance to elements, slip resistance, durability, etc. and you can get the one within your budget.
- Color: Look for color options which can blend well with the surroundings. This will add great look to your pontoon boat floor. You are never short of options and there are a lot of options to choose from.
How to protect the pontoon boat floor with coatings?
Let us see the strategy of how we can achieve a high grade coated surface. This is a multi-step procedure involved in protecting the boat floor. The high-grade coatings system consists of a primer, midcoat of epoxy, and a topcoat which is recoatable.
- First of all, you need to coat the deck with a zinc primer which will ensure that the subsequent coating will adhere properly to the deck.
- Next up is the high solids epoxy coating (epoxy polyamides or any other surface tolerant epoxy) that protect the floor from corrosive substances.
- Now you need a top surface coating to which prevents the deterioration of the epoxy. This can be a polyurethane topcoat which can act well against harmful UV light and prevent fading and chalking. Or else glass-fiber reinforced epoxies can also be an additional coating which can also withstand the stress due to movement of heavy equipment in the surface. In such cases you may also have to look for anti skid additives in the epoxy coating or else epoxies can be extremely slippery when wet. You can also look for polyaspartic coatings, which though expensive, offer great resistance to UV light and are not so slippery when compared to the epoxies. This can be something of consideration in the coming future.
Best Boat Floor Coatings
Tuff Coat Non Skid Coating
The Tuff Coat Non Skid Coating can be a great alternative to pontoon boat carpet or vinyl flooring. Made out of the unique process of cross-linking urethanes, acrylics, co-polymers and recycled rubber granules, it creates a long-lasting non-slip finish surface. The rubberized non-skid coating is easy to apply and is considered safe for the environment. The heavy duty, durable, non slip deck coating can be applied to wood, metal surfaces, fiberglass and previously painted surfaces. It is impact resistant and can withstand heavy traffic. It has low odor. The coating is UV resistant, fire resistant and mar/cuff resistant. It is recommended to use a Tuff Coat Primer before applying the layer. The coating has a flexible matte finish and dries to 30-35 mils of thickness. It can hide imperfections if any on the surface. It can also improve the existing non skid finish for added safety. Available in 15 color variants, the non skid coating can last up to 5 years before requiring an additional layer.
Total Boat Total Tread Non Skid Deck Paint
The Total Tread Non Skid Deck Paint is an affordable option for giving new life to your old boat flooring. The polyurethane non skid deck paint is durable and will not fade or peel easily. Having a textured finish, it offers a low-glare high-traction surface for secure footing. The rubberized texture is however comfortable and is less abrasive than traditional silica additives. The wax texturing agents provide gloss control. The non slip coating is a perfect choice for boat floors requiring sure footing and can be used for wood, metal surfaces, fiberglass and previously painted surfaces. The coating is easy to clean and scrubbing won’t be wearing away the long lasting polyurethane finish. Proper priming should be done before applying the coating. Also, you can add a second coat in case you need greater traction. There are 4 available color options to choose from.
Liquid Rubber Polyurethane Deck Coating
The Liquid Rubber Polyurethane Deck Coating offers a hard and durable surface, which is also waterproof. The high performance coating also offers excellent UV stability so that heating up is reduced and there will be no fading for prolonged use. It is not slippery. It can be used on wood and non-corroded metal surfaces. If you apply 4-5 generous coats, then it can also withstand the elements of high traffic. The waterproof traffic grade membrane is also seamless. The coating is easy to apply. Available in smooth and textured finish, they are available in 10 color options.
KiwiGrip Non Skid Coating
The KiwiGrip Non Skid Coating is durable and spreads quickly and easily with an included proprietary roller thereby offering a beautiful surface of high traction. The water based acrylic coating is environmental friendly. The one part system applies in a single coat on most surfaces. This lowers the finished cost of non skid application and saves money. Being a homogenous material, there are no fillers, rubber flecks, sand or shells and hence they do not wear through easily and there is also no problem of fillers falling out making the deck unsafe, hard to clean and hard to re-coat. Overall, they are easy to maintain. The non skid coating is available in 5 colors.
Rust Oleum Maine Topside Paint
The Rust Oleum Marine Topside Paint is another affordable floor coating which is ideal for application on fiberglass, wood or metal surfaces. If you are looking for quality protection for your boat floor, without compromising the appearance, then this product will be the right choice for you. The formula is such that it can work pretty well in both freshwater and saltwater conditions. The oil based formula is flexible and dries up in about 1-2 hours. It can be applied easily with great leveling. The durable coating also offers resistance to abrasion and extreme weather conditions. It can also deliver long-lasting UV protection. Being mildew and mold resistant, they prevent corrosion. They offer superior gloss retention, while the smooth finish can maintain the elegance of the surfaces for longer time. You can add an anti slip grip additive to the paint for added safety. It is advised to prime difficult surfaces before painting.
Rust Oleum Anti Slip Additive
Here is the anti slip additive that you have been searching for! The Rust Oleum anti slip additive has an ultra fine ground pumice base and when mixed with latex or oil based paints, create a skid-resistant coating for fiberglass, wood, and metal. It promotes safety with good grip. The anti slip additive will not affect the appearance or durability of the coating. It will not change the color or any other performance properties of the coating.
Durabak Polyurethane Protective Coating
The weatherproof, waterproof and saltwater resistant coating can be used in the most rugged environment. It is also heat and UV resistant. The sound and vibration dampening coating offers extreme abrasion and impact resistance. It can protect the boat floor from rust, wear and tear and also creates a slip proof surface, safe for the passengers. It can be used on wood, metal, fiberglass and even coated surfaces. You can choose from a textured or smooth finish. The heavy duty all in one formulation delivers great protection and is also easier to apply. There is a wide range of color options to choose from.
Interlux Interdeck Slip Resistant Deck Paint
Interdeck is a tough polyurethane resin which provides a slip resistant coating suitable for all surfaces. This can add protection to the decks against every day wear and tear. It contains a fine material additive creating the hard wearing and non slip surface. The low-sheen finish reduces the sun glare. It offers a great coverage and is also easy to apply. For a long standing effect, you may need two coats.